[Stoves] The Kon-Tiki Comes to ETHOS

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Feb 1 12:16:06 CST 2016

Many thanks to Leon Husser, Living Soils Abundant Life, Redmond, Washington
for bringing his Kon-Tiki kiln to the ETHOS improved cooking stoves meeting
this weekend in Seattle, WA. There is nothing like seeing the real thing and
talking with the owner.  Leon's organization makes specialty organic soils
that incorporate biochar. He downloaded the design from the Biochar Journal
website and talked with Paul Taylor. He had the kiln built just a few months
ago. With help from Kelpie Wilson he has demonstrated it in Oregon and
Washington.  He says it takes about 2 hours to make 1 CY of biochar from 3
CY dry wood on the East side of the Cascade Mountains. It take 4 hours on
the damper West side.

Leon will demonstrate his Kon-Tiki at the USBI Biochar 2016 conference in
Corvallis, August 22-25, 2016.

According to Leon's website their mission is: "To build healthy sustainable
soils that produce nutrient-dense foods using local wisdom & technology."

"We have built Kon Tiki Kiln for bio-char production and demonstrated
bio-char production with directors of USDA (United States Dept. of
Agriculture), WA State Dept. of Forestry, Umatilla County Soil and Water
Conservation District, Natural Resources and Conservation Service, Umatilla
national forest scientists, Oregon State University Agriculture Research
Station and others. A follow-up video and article will be produced soon. "

Many thanks to Leon. We look forward to seeing many Kon-Tiki kilns in use
between now and August.

We had a lot of discussion about biochar at the improved cooking stoves
conference this weekend. We hope that improved stove developers and
promoters will use the Kon-Tiki and similar devices to produce biochar to
improve food security and nutrition through soil fertility and carbon
sequestration.

Tom

tmiles at trmiles.com <mailto:tmiles at trmiles.com>

www.trmiles.com <http://www.trmiles.com>

www.stoves.bioenergylists.org <http://www.stoves.bioenergylists.org>

Links

USBI Biochar 2016 http://usbi2016.org/

The Biochar Journal https://www.biochar-journal.org/en/ct/39

Kon-Tiki - the democratization of biochar production By Hans-Peter Schmidt
and Paul Taylor

Living Soils Abundant Life www.livingsoilsabundantlife.org
<http://www.livingsoilsabundantlife.org>

Kelpie Wilson Backyard Biochar.net BackyardBiochar.net
<http://www.backyardbiochar.net/>

ETHOS - Engineers in Technical and Humanitarian Opportunities of Service
http://www.ethoscon.com/