[Stoves] grate effect? (was Re: ND-TLUD Burners at ETHOS -- What Works Best?)

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri Feb 5 12:23:08 CST 2016

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 09:25:51PM -0700, Ronal W. Larson wrote:
> 	7.  “Big” spikes for both CO and particulates - often (usually) appear as the pyrolysis front reaches the bottom.  - But not always. Why?

Maybe this has something to do with the "grate effect" ? Someone on
the list has explained before that the pyrolysis front has no fuel to
heat and dry at the bottom of the chamber.  Rather, the grate absorbs
the heat of the pyrolysis front and radiates it back into the remaining
fuel.  That leads to a big increase in woodgas production.  Starting a
few minutes before the fuel burns out, my tincanium TLUDs produce a tall
flame that touches the pot, leaving a lot of soot.  I believe that is
the grate effect at work.

Dave

--
David Young