[Stoves] SIZE OF PELLETS

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 14:04:19 CST 2016

Dear Frank;

Primarily, the size of pellets relates to the size of the stove and its
fire.  For a small combustion chamber, the pellets are the right size for
primary pyrolysis to finish in a flaming zone before there is substantive
char gasification.  If the pellets are too large, then it takes too long
for the center of the pellets to reach pyrolysis temperatures.  This
relates to the size of the stove, because with a bigger stove, we can
accommodate larger fuel pieces such as briquettes and pieces of wood ca.
3-5 cm thick.

Beyond that, are considerations of easy fuel handling, and pellet
strength.  We can get denser, stronger pellets if they are smaller.

Cheers,
Julien.

--
Julien Winter