[Stoves] ND-TLUD Burners at ETHOS -- What Works Best?

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:09:54 CST 2016

Thanks to all for the ETHOS updates.

I expect that there will be a variety of solutions, because what people can
afford to pay for cookstoves varies greatly.  For some countries where the
per capita participation in international trade is low,  imported materials
are so expensive that a buying a "$10" stove is equivalent in value to a
North American person buying a >$1,000 stove.  That means that we must
develop the technology for locally-made, natural draft TLUDs as well as
imported forced draft TLUDs.  (On a side note, carbon credit subsidies must
be done carefully so as not to undermine indigenous stove manufacturing.)

Did anyone attending ETHOS get a sense of what direction Colorado State
University was going with their gas burners?  Which burner architectures
did they favor, and which did they not, and why? One would expect that they
would be leading the way on this matter.

The burst of wood gas that we often see just before the end of primary
pyrolysis is because we are beginning to get char oxidation at the grate.
I have measured a sharp increase in temperature 5 cm above the grate
(sometimes rising from 750 °C to 1000 °C) when that happens.  The rise in
temperature accelerates pyrolysis of the residual raw fuel.

Cheers,
Julien.

--
Julien Winter