[Stoves] Ceramic ND TLUD for biochar

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 00:02:24 CST 2016

Dear Crispin,
there is officially a ban on making charcoal from wood, but the traditional
kiln contains a pyramidally piled heap of wooden logs. The heap, about 3 m
tall, is enclosed in a brick and mud structure. There are air holes at the
base of the structure and a hole at the top for firing the kiln (top-lit,
updraft). No flame comes out of the top of the kiln, but only smoke. The
wood burns for 3 to 4 days. By looking at the smoke, the locals know when
to stop the charring process. The entire kiln is dismantled for removing
the charred material.
We are currently selling a portable charring kiln made of mild steel
sheets. The sheets are bolted together by the client to make the kiln. It
is also a TLUD kiln, but it produces a flame, on which one can cook.  The
indication of completed charring is when the kiln stops producing the
flame, The fuel holder in this kiln has a capacity of 100 litres. It is
primarily meant for garden waste like leaves, twigs and pods of certain
trees, but one can use it for charring wood. With garden waste, the kiln
produces a flame for about 30 minutes, but with wood, the flame can last up
an hour or even longer. There is absolutely no smoke, even with garden
waste, if the material is filled only loosely, allowing air to go up
through the biomass.  A video of this kiln, showing how to assemble the
panels, how to fill the biomass, how to ignite it and how to remove the
charcoal, can be seen at our web site  www.samuchit.com. The web site has a
button that connects one to the U-Tube, where one can watch the video.
 Yours
A.D.Karve

***
Dr. A.D. Karve

Chairman, Samuchit Enviro Tech Pvt Ltd (www.samuchit.com)

Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)