[Stoves] Thermal cameras for monitoring heat loss.

joe breskin joe.breskin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 12:00:29 CST 2016

Last year we used both a seek thermal on an iPhone and an expensive
FLIR camera to collect images in and on the surface of a soil-heated
polyfilm greenhouse and found both units to be useful, though
ultimately we returned the seek thermal device to the vendor, as it
was not quite useful enough. The resolution is adequate for what we
were doing, but just as with non-contact infrared thermometers the
surface emissivity issues often overwhelm and mask the temperature
issues of interest, and beyond the most obvious of results the thermal
images definitely require skill to interpret.

I ended up developing a simple emmisivity "target" and using it to
calibrate a very low cost and reliable Raytech thermometer against the
FLIR camera. In the range of temps that mattered in the greenhouse,
the two devices tracked within a degree or two F.