[Stoves] Sticks-cutting DIY-gadget

Boll, Martin Dr. boll.bn at t-online.de
Sat Feb 20 18:05:08 CST 2016

Dear Richard,
-and to interested stick-cutter-stovers -

here below I made some pictures of my DIY sticks-cutting gadget, as you asked for.
- I heartily laughed about your joke  "Boll-trimmer"; -"Stick-guillotine" was not bad too.

I don't think, the pictures are available directly in the distributed stoves-list,
but by general interest I guess, Erin will post it in the biomass cooking-stove website.

I am sure all the stovers know, how to work, but to be sure for legal correctness:

 I refuse the responsibility for lesion caused by using the below described device.
You are yourself responsible for your own hands!
If you use that, _never let it alone in usable condition_, that could be disastrous for children.

- Even chain-saw-protecting-cloves  __do not finally protect__ against pruning-shears-cuts!

The base-plank is fixed with the C-clamp.
On the base-plank:
2 latches fixed with each two screws with flat seating head from under the base-plank.
- The screw has more "flesh" and does not stick out of the wood -
Keep the channel for the shears narrow enough that they do not slide for and back.

The forward protruding planck, fixed with the C-clamp (fixes as well the base-plank) ends besides the scissor-blades. This plank serves is to protect the stick-feeding hand.
This planck could favorably be thicker to protect better.

The two mullers are now closed. They make sure that the shears don't get out of the channel, when the free handle is moved up and down. They consist out of short pieces of a thin latch, each fixed simply with a woodscrew (with flat seating head) onto one of the parallel latches.
- Be sure the mullers are not too thick to stack between the closed shear-handles.
- Be sure to fix the shears-handle-near muller far enough from the handle, that you don't get
"squeezed" by them.

I'm just cutting!
- The comfortable hight of the table for relaxed work is lower than normal table hight.
- If you want to get equal-long sticks you can add a second plank,
 with another C-clamp, (to bounce to the plank by each infeed).

Important for using that gadget:
Take __always your time__ !

- I should have worn chain-saw-cloves. -
But all cloves  __do not finally protect__ against pruning-shears-cuts!

Have fun, never hurry!

Additional remark:
Stick will burn not in the same manner as pellets, .
They do not catch as easily fire as pellets, because of the bark.
I ask myself: By shortening the cut-offs, I think they burn easier.
What would be the best compromise between too much cut-work and best burn.

Regards
Martin