[Stoves] venturi system -ratios of air and gas?

Paul Medwell paul.medwell at adelaide.edu.au
Sun Jan 10 05:37:46 CST 2016

This discussion seems to have gotten off-topic somewhat, nevertheless...

I thoroughly agree that nonpremixed flames emit harmful pollutants. The levels of which are non-negligible and indeed can be downright worrying. However, the previous inference that "nonpremixed flames are terrible and should never be used" may give some readers the false impression that nonpremixed flames should be avoided at all cost. I don't believe this is true, and given the enormous range of practical nonpremixed combustors currently in-use (such as engines and furnaces) that successfully meet emissions regulations, I stand by this claim. Certainly premixed flames offer some advantages in the reduction of some emissions (such as soot), but at the cost of increased design complexity, increased operational complexity, increased safety risks, and can increase some other emissions.

I also thoroughly agree that the use of a spoon is not a good or reliable approach to measure soot volume fraction -- it was simply intended to be an indicator of the relative levels of soot within a flame and what is emitted from a flame. Soot within a flame is highly desirable, and a great amount of research effort goes into making as much soot as possible within a flame for many applications (such as furnaces). Of course, soot formation in other applications should be ameliorated (such as engines). In almost all cases the goal is to completely oxidise the soot prior to its release (although sometimes it is a desired product). Just because a flame is yellow does not imply that it emits a lot of soot -- it is certainly likely to emit some (potentially a lot), but don't forget that most of it can get oxidised within the flame (but only if properly designed).

Since this is digressing from the objectives of this mailing list I shan't continue this discussion. Nevertheless, I welcome continued debate on this, and other topics. Coincidentally, if anyone has a strong interest in soot outside of cookstoves, I draw your attention to the International Sooting Flames workshop series:
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/cet/isfworkshop