[Stoves] Nozzles for TLUDs Re: venturi system -ratios of air and gas?

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 11 08:53:13 CST 2016

Dear Kirk,

WONDERFUL MESSAGE by you below.   Stimulates several thoughts and some
comments.

1.  I will be at the Apro Open House, and will bring with me a
concept-prototype of a combustor that relates to several of your
comment, but maybe not as expected.  The concept comes from Kevin Adair
(not a member of Stoves Listserv) with whom I am working on a TLUD-ND
project with his NGO in Haiti.   The major change is to have a "nozzle"
where the concentrator hole is located.   Think of a short, squat
hour-glass of metal through which the created gases must pass.

2.  Kirk's comment about the thick metal impacting the ability of the
flame to pass is interesting.   But instead of preventing passage from
below upward, use it to prevent passage from above downward.   It that
happens, and if the flame is above and cannot get down below the
concentrator, then the mixing might be improved (longer time to mix).
And a better flame above?   These are specculation thougthts.   Perhaps
someone could computationally model this?   But instead, we can just
make some and have real-world results much sooner.   This can be a topic
for the ETHOS and Apro events this month.

3.  There are a number of variables to consider about the nozzle approach.
a.  Diameter of the minimal hole in the hourglass.
b.  Height of hourglass above the concentrator.
c.  Height below the concentrator.
d.  Possible use of more than one nozzle.
e.  Material of the nozzle and maybe with perforations.
f.   Probably a few more variables.

4.  I am very interested in knowing more about
> One of my burner/combustors did work on a forced air rice hull
> TLUD, cleaning up some smoke that was being produced.
Please bring those materials, etc to the Apro gathering.

5.  I expect to be at the Baymont Inn by 2 PM on Friday 29 Jan.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com