[Stoves] 2 Papers: "Burns, scalds and poisonings from household energy..." and "Emissions...Paraffin Thermoelectric Generat

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Tue Jul 5 15:05:19 CDT 2016

On 5 Jul 2016 at 7:46, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

> " Paraffin lamps are commonly used as light sources in low-income,
> off-grid households. Pollutant emissions from these appliances are a
> potential health hazard and a cause of material soiling by soot deposits.

and from one of the links:

"The emission of black carbon, a product of incomplete combustion is a
requirement of a paraffin lamp to produce bright yellow light under
optimum combustion conditions, the flame would emit a weak illumination,
mainly in the blue wavelengths."

A point exploited to perfection towards the end of the 19th century, and
still available commercially as the 'Aladdin lamp'!

This has to be a problem of politics not technology surely?

If you burn paraffin with a blue flame in a chimneyed stove then you have
a clean cooking stove with a turn down ratio superior to this day to gas
or electric hobs as my Great Aunt taught me when she moved into a
bungalow with electricity, but retained her 'oil stove' for its low
simmering heat she could not achieve with her new electric cooker.  I've
used them myself - they are excellent stoves, and the most controllable
of any.

As far as lighting is concerned, why if the political decision is made to
retain paraffin as an affordable fuel by the poorest in SA, cannot the
obsolete (in the west) 19th century technology of burning it with a blue
flame under an incandescent mantle be made available instead of dirty old
yellow flame wick lamps?!  Candles are paraffin.

For those without first hand experience of the Aladdin lamp (40 candle
power), or the 'Tilley lamp' (paraffin pressure vapour lamp), (300 candle
power), or the 'primus stove' (paraffin pressure vapour) - All late
nineteenth century technologies, they burn cleanly without any smell,
except perhaps briefly when extinguished.  They prove Crispin's point
that there is no such thing as a dirty fuel.

What is the matter with a world which having long since abandoned these
excellent clean burning technologies, underlining this abandonment in the
west by the political decision to end coal, and to price paraffin way
above petrol for cars (which attracts two thirds of its price in tax),
and is about £6 for 4 litres in the UK, whereas a few decades ago its
cost was a trivial fraction of petrol, none the less makes paraffin
affordable to the poorest in SA, but then fails to make clean burning
19th century technology, of no real residual interest to the west,
available by the same fiat decision?  The answer is provided in one of
Crispin's links, and reveals that the fate of the poor is of so little
real interest to the political determiners of markets that they can't
even be bothered to leave piles of municipal woodchip lying around long
enough for collection as biomass fuel, but would rather transport it to
landfill!

Yes, the cost of producing an Aladdin blue flame circular wick burner,
plus the cost of fabricating a silk mantle will be higher than the
production of producing a yellow flame flat wick burner, but by how much
if the third world got given the plant?
How much compared with converting the fraction of a barrel of crude into
paraffin in a modern refinery, and selling it in a global market such
that the poorest South Arican can contemplate buying it, while it is
priced out for all practical purposes in the west?

What is the future of the Aladdin lamp, the sole manufacturer on the
planet of this type of lamp?  It only survived at all to this day by the
skin of its teeth.  Yet it seems that there is a whole 'market' out there
that would be grateful for such a 19th century advance to its living
standards, and yet we are talking instead of burning the paraffin in
doubtless much higher tech capital intensive generators to produce
incomplete spectrum light with LEDs!  Who's agendas are these?  Has
anyone thought to approach Aladdin to find a way to release its patents
for third world use?

I greatly admire the work you are all doing to improve biomass
cookstoves, an 'intermediate technology' the west whizzed past so fast it
never developed at all, but I sometimes wonder if somewhere there should
not be some efforts made to at least make the decent burners to go with
the fuel if they are going to continue to make fuel like paraffin
available at all.

Neil Taylor (whos Great Grandfather in the19th century made paraffin
burners apparently superior to anything available to the world's poorest
today!)