[Stoves] 2 Papers: "Burns, scalds and poisonings from household energy..." and "Emissions...Paraffin Thermoelectric Generator" (Crispin Pemberton-Pigott)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 16:21:19 CDT 2016

Crispin:

Thank you very much for a reality check, compared to "emissions to
exposures to risk factors for premature mortality" automatic health damage
attributed to solid fuels. Fuels per se are not dirty or clean; use
practices matter, and apart from PM2.5 and other emissions - which become
pollution via exposures, and even then subject to dose-response rates and
confounding factors - these real and immediate damages from burns, scalds
and poisoning also need to be recognized in fuel/stove choice and operating
practices.

This is not just "households" - much fuel use is outside the households, in
the "ecosystems of energy poverty", ignored by the household energy
experts. The question is, how much of this energy poverty is readily
available to change, to safer alternatives.

Another instance of ignoring the economic geography of modern energy
transitions and obsessing over lab tests for water boiling instead. For
which reason I am going to ignore the paper on kerosene TEGs. I will look
when 100,000 kerosene TEGs have been actually used for two years.

Nikhil