[Stoves] Reducing Ultrafine Particle Emissions Using Air Injection in Wood-Burning Cookstoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 13 12:33:01 CDT 2016

Dear Ashok Gadgil's group, the GACC leadership, and all Stovers, ,

Very interesting.  Good that this was reported.

The results also show / suggest that more such research is needed,
especically if using a better combustion device than a Darfur stove (a
stick burner, not a gasifier).

The TLUD gasifier stoves already have both natural draft (ND) and forced
air (FA) versions.  So, such comparisons could be done if using the
equipment.   But perhaps the directing of the air injection into
specific locations MIGHT result in even lower emissions and better
improvement.

I believe that no producer of TLUD stoves has the capabilities of doing
such research, nor the budget to hire Ashok's group.   If this research
about reducing emissions is to be fully serious, those with the testing
capabilities and those with the money now need to match with those who
can provide ths stoves.

(Correct me if I am incorrect.)  I believe that the Berkeley / Livermore
entity had the major role in developing and promoting the Darfur stove,
so it is totally natural that they should have selected that Darfur
stove to do their first round of research.  I am suggesting that they
branch out soon to do such research on the true and inexpensive TLUD
gasifiers (and not to the "flame jet" high vortex expensive stoves such
as Philips / ACE-1).

I hope that Ashok and GACC and others will soon reply via this Stoves
Listserv about prospects and plans for further research.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com