[Stoves] NGO is looking for a stove update in production process

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 13:35:07 CDT 2016

Deniz,  cc List and Patty

	1.  Yours is a most wonderful organization.  Congratulations to the many of you in 8 countries - clearly providing a very valuable new service.

	2.  I have read two responses on bio- stoves that will work.  I normally would agree that a TLUD (charcoal-making) stove would be a best alternative.  But please try to avoid using charcoal in most locations - where its remote, crude production is even (appropriately) apt to be illegal.
	But all biomass stoves routinely operate at temperatures an order of magnitude larger than you desire.

	3.  I suggest instead thinking of solar cookers.  See SCI at http://www.solarcookers.org/index.php <http://www.solarcookers.org/index.php>.
		A good friend and neighbor (cc'd) has been on the SCI board and she and her (excellent Engineer) husband would be pleased to communicate on best (least cost) solar cooker designs.  Reaching 120 C is trivial.  Solar sizes could be provided from heat-shrinking one at a time up to thousands.

	4.  It was not clear from your website whether you desired to have this heat shrinking occur at central factory locations or at the point of sale.  Or differently stated, why did you mention 10 minutes?   It could be that electrical heating is even a good choice - assuming the kWh for one pair is as low/cheap as I guess - using remote PV.   This, with modest battery storage, could even allow final heat-shrinking at night - and probably an application for 1 minute - not ten.

	5.  I (and many on this list) have continuing possible non-stove contacts in a number of countries beyond your present eight.  Solar cookers are now being used everywhere.   How are you selecting countries into which you will expand?

Ron