[Stoves] kgharris stove test

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Tue Jun 7 14:22:37 CDT 2016

Crispin,

The stove is a test stove intended to test verious ideas, not to be put on
the market.  You can put what ever pot stand, pot, skirt, or other cooking
arrangment on it that you want to.  The power level is 1.6 kw to 6kw with
cushion on each end.  What ever cooking arrangment design you use is up to
you and heat flux will change accordingly.  If the people in Java can use a
stove with 1.6 to 6 kw, and can use that heat effectively, then the power
level is adiquate for Java or anywhere else.  The same combustor principles
can be used on larger or smaller stoves if this range is not adiquate.

(raising the skirt)"This will reduce the draft and reduce the burn rate and
reduce the heat transfer efficiency (aka thermal efficiency)."
I don't necessarily agree.  Some of the draft may be lost, but the flow
resistance will be reduced which will counter the draft loss.  I am
intending to do some testing on the effect of raising the pot stand, so I
intend to find out.  Also I want to do some tests on the effects of ambient
conditions on the stove.  The skirt needed raising only when the ambient
temperature was higher.  Most cooks will not even use a skirt so the
question may be less important than we think.  Without a skirt there would
be no problem with ambient temperature on turn-down.

Don't forget the low emissions.  Don't get fixated on narrow issues.

Kirk H.