[Stoves] DIY camping TLUD with walnut shell fuel

Mangolazi mangolazi at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 04:28:56 CDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I've been messing around with a tiny gasifier based on a peach can for camping usage. I can get about 12 minutes flame time using twigs, although the coals inside keep burning for a lot longer. I can boil 500 ml water in 7 minutes using twigs.

I recently added an outer vessel for windproofing and to preheat the secondary air. Using walnut shells, I get a very hot and high flame, higher than with peanut shells or twigs, with flames reaching almost to the top of the pot. Total flame time goes up to 14 minutes and 500 ml water boils in 6 minutes, faster than before. Please see attached images.

How can I prevent the flame from going up so high?

Is it possible and feasible to throttle primary air on such small stoves?

Has anyone used peanut or walnut shells for daily cooking on a large TLUD?

Thanks!