[Stoves] Why is it still so difficult to design cookstoves for 3 billion people?

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Seifert doseifert at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 14 13:58:45 CDT 2016

Dear Xavier Brandao,

Thank you for your informative posting. I agree with your proposals

and I would like to draw your attention to documents about open source
cooking technologies (OSAT) which you find on the website of SCI
(http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Dieter_Seifert)

a) some remarks on stove-technologies:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/solarcooking/images/8/8f/Remarks_on_Stove_Technologies_-_Seifert_February_2016.pdf/revision/latest?cb=20160519171524

b) about Ben firewood stoves:

http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Ben_2_and_Ben_3_Firewood_Stoves

The whole documentation is dedicated to poor households. Only standard
material is needed. The documentation (including Annexes A … E) contains
also the devices for production in simple workshops, so that the cost of
a stove will be below 10 USD.

c) about cooking with retained heat (a totally underestimated technology)

http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Heat-retention_cooker

I hope this open source technologies may be so helpful, as you described it.

Kind regards

Dieter Seifert

Am 14.06.2016 um 08:16 schrieb Xavier Brandao:
> [...]
> prototype to a woman user. Skeptical at first, she agrees to leave her
> traditional stove for a week, and start using your new stove. You come
> back one week later. She is using it every day, for lunch and dinner.
> She loves it. She put her ceramic stove on the side, actually, it is
> nowhere to be seen. Your new stove has become the kitchen stove.
> It's only for experiencing this kind of feeling that I work so hard.
> This is when this happen to you that you know you have a great stove.
> Adoption.
>

> /*Cookstoves: super practical vs super clean */
>
> I picture the stove sector as a large mountain, with 2 camps on its
> two feet. The 2 camps are separated by the mountain in the middle.
> •    In one camp the infamous smoky traditional stoves, and very next
> to them, the vast majority of users, using them every day
> •    In the other camp, stove developers and manufacturers, reaching
> Tier-4 in their expensive labs, with complex technologies and
> expensive stoves. And their very limited dissemination numbers.
>
> The 2 camps don't communicate much with each other. What happens is
> that often a new recruit joins the stove developer camp. He/she
> chooses the techno-push approach. The new comer comes up with a slick
> design, cool materials, excellent lab results. But many restrictions
> are imposed to the product use, it should take this fuel, not this
> fuel, be lit this way, be tended this way, etc. And as Crispin was
> mentioning in one of his last posts, so many important things are left
> during the development process.
> Great disappointment is the reward of so much of work when the users
> don't accept the new product.
>
> Priya Karve rightly emphasizes the importance of delivering a cooking
> service, not a cooking stove. At Prakti we work on the "cookstove
> system" (stove + fuel + cooking vessel + operator + burn cycle).
> Traditional stoves give an excellent cooking service! They are great
> cooking tools! They are just awfully dangerous for health.
>

> /*Next actions: a few ideas*/
>
> I believe both camps can meet together, on top of this mountain.
> There'll be extremely clean and usable stoves, hopefully soon. There
> is some good progress happening already.
>
> But to be sure to succeed, I would start my climb at the basecamp
> where all users already are.
>
> What I think stove developers should do:
>
> •    Change your perspective: consider that traditional stoves are
> great. That they are fantastic. Because people have been using them
> for thousand of years. They must have something special, right? Start
> by not judging them.
> •    Spend a lot of time with the users. See them cooking. Cook
> yourself, cook on the traditional stove. See how easy it is with the
> traditional stove.
> •    Then build your own stove based on the traditional stove. Big
> stove, easy to use, sturdy, large opening, easy to tend, large
> combustion chamber, lot of power, fast to cook.
Give it to users. Have
> them use it, have them like it.
> •    Your stove is being used everyday, it is being adopted.
> Congratulations! Additionally, you might have seen by now, and your
> future customers remarked it too, that the new stove, even if it's far
> from being Tier 4, is actually much less smoky than the traditional
> stove..
> •    You've reached your usability baseline, that's your prerequisite,
> the bar has been set. Don't cross it now. Always keep the stove as
> usable.
> •    Set a bar also for price. Keep the stove cheap. Its production
> must be affordable. This is a prerequisite too.
> •    From there: work on improving performance: emissions and wood
> savings. It will be difficult. But you can improve it, by a lot.
> •    If you are working on a breakthrough technology, see how you can
> introduce it to your usable cheap stove, without lowering the bar you
> set.
> •    Work on the breakthrough technology in isolation, if necessary.
> If the technology is not ready to be engineered into a good stove, so
> be it.
>
> At Prakti, this is what we are currently doing, working both on
> incremental progress, and breakthrough technologies. Both are
> difficult, but both hold promises.

I was saying previously that stove