[Stoves] DIY camping TLUD with walnut shell fuel

Mangolazi mangolazi at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 04:06:33 CDT 2016

I've always wondered what causes that towering inferno to occur. I've had this happen a few times with a tiny tin can stove and with a big paint can biochar burner. I try to avoid it so my pots don't get damaged.

Is it too much primary air? Lots of wood gas from certain fuels? Fast gas flow from a tall chimney?

Looking at a bunch of papers on TLUDs, it seems there's a trade off between temperature and burn time. You can throttle primary air to get a long burn time but temperatures may not get high enough to burn cleanly, whereas a more complete and hotter burn means the fuel is turned to char much faster.