[Stoves] DIY camping TLUD with walnut shell fuel

Mangolazi mangolazi at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 06:39:03 CDT 2016

You're right about the fuel type and density affecting flame height more than primary air. I put a metal disk on the grate to block 2/3 of the primary air, added a fan-shaped obstructor just below the pilot holes and I still got a tall flame towards the end of the burn. Total burn time went up to 15 minutes from 12 minutes, probably because of less primary air.

There was no smoke and the flame was a rolling turbulent mass with lots of blue - a sign of good air/fuel mixing?