[Stoves] Maendeleo/Upesi stove: dimensions?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Jun 21 14:51:26 CDT 2016

Dear Xavier

There are three sources of info:
ProBEC's website
Some Kenyan articles that predate the ProBEC work
Christa Roth who was the main promoter of the Mandeleo in ProBEC North.

I believe she reads this list so she may respond.

Also check Stovepedia, and Hedon's collection.

Note that the Indonesian Keren Super is basically an advanced form of Mandeleo and outperforms it measurably. The design principles of the KS were discussed here some time ago. It is very inexpensive ($0.50-1.50 wholesale). The grate is extra.

I developed an all-clay grate for it but we ran out of time because it was not a formal part of the project. ‎The grate costs more than the stove but lasts for ages so it better to treat it more like a pot in the sense of a capital investment.

Regards
Crispin, ex-ProBEC

Hi everyone,

Does someone knows the most common dimensions of the Maendeleo/Upesi
stove? Stove size, fuel opening size?

I read something interesting in one of the articles of the last edition
of HEDON Boiling Point, number 68, that sheds further light to this
subject of adoption.

"In 2010 the World Food Programme undertook a feasibility study in Kenya
to understand how displaced populations were coping with fuel scarcity
and the related consequences. At the time, a total of 33 568 improved
cookstoves (ICSs) had been distributed to both refugees and host
communities in Kakuma by the previous UNCHR-GTZ partnership programme,
implemented by GTZ (now GIZ). The Maendeleo stove was promoted by GTZ.
Other agencies distributed stove including Jiko Poa, Envirofit G3300 and
Save 80.
The study revealed that the Maendeleo metal cladded pottery liner stove
was widely accepted by refugees because it was not necessary to
constantly attend the fire, resulting in time savings for other chores.
The stove achieved around 30% firewood saving compared to the three
stone fire and was safe and portable. Other stoves did not enjoy the
same acceptability, primarily because of the design (could only cook for
few people), the time taken to heat up and the taste of the food cooked."

Great to see concrete examples of users preferences. We should have a
world map of stove adoption.

I couldn't find any information online about the Maendeleo dimensions. I
guess they vary, like traditional ceramic stoves do. I suspect the
dimensions have a big role to play: people probably like them because
they have a wider opening for fuel entry, and large combustion chamber:
they provide high power -> from the user experience: cook for many
people and require little tending.

The Maendeleo is another good place to start: how can we develop stoves
with the same qualities, but much cleaner and economic?

Best,

Xavier

--

Xavier Brandao