[Stoves] Flame center go down into the combustion chamber

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Mar 4 11:13:46 CST 2016

Dear Roberto

Did this flame pattern occur only when you were not cooking – meaning looking at it through an open top?  If so, it is quite possible the effect was caused by it entering the fire from above the stove.

If there was a pot in place and you observed the flame descending in the centre, it is most likely caused by air entering the periphery of the combustion chamber and rising immediately. This sets up a toroidal flow like a donut rolling around its circular centre line. It can be created by having primary air jets below the fuel, or just air rising along the wall of the chamber.

My observations are that it happens at low power, usually, when the generated gas volume is low.  It is often seen when the pot is off and the air enters from above. It follows the descending flame in the centre and feeds the fire around the edge.

Hi to all,

This is a video of 2012 of my first tlud can stove. One day, i noticed that at some point of the burning cycle, the center of the flame started to go down in the combustion chamber.

¿Can someone explain why this happend?

I want to reproduce the phenomenon with a new tlud stove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBqupdLA6A

Greetings
Roberto Poehlmann

Valdivia