[Stoves] Flame center go down into the combustion chamber

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Mar 4 19:11:52 CST 2016

Dear Roberto

I think this can happen at low power with the pot on if there is secondary air entering some distance above the fuel‎, say 40 mm. You can often see it with a TLUD, no pot and low power.

Keep having fun!
Crispin

Thanks Crispin for the answer.

I don't know if with a spot on top of it, occurs the phenomenom.

I only see this with low power, and the strange thing is that the stove
have a chimney. So is hard to me to believe that cool air are entering from
the chimney.
 Looking the video with more attention, y could see some sparks coming out
from the edges of the central hole (at 23 seconds aprox.). This confirm,
for me, that the flame path form a toroidal flow.

I concur that the toroidal flow are possibly formed with some primary air
rising along the wall of the chamber (vertical flow), that combined with
the secondary air (horizontal flow), form the donut or toroidal flow. Then,
the combustion gases flow to the chimney through the edge or perimeter of
the combustion chamber.

Greetings
Roberto

"
*Crispin Pemberton-Pigott* crispinpigott at outlook.com
<stoves%40lists.bioenergylists.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BStoves%5D%20Flame%20center%20go%20down%20into%20the%20combustion%20chamber&In-Reply-To=%3CCOL401-EAS220933B51DFCC0353E3772BB1BE0%40phx.gbl%3E>
*Fri Mar 4 10:13:46 MST 2016*

   combustion chamber
   <http://lists.bioenergylists.org/pipermail/stoves_lists.bioenergylists.org/2016-March/011357.html>
   <http://lists.bioenergylists.org/pipermail/stoves_lists.bioenergylists.org/2016-March/date.html#11358>
    [ thread ]
   <http://lists.bioenergylists.org/pipermail/stoves_lists.bioenergylists.org/2016-March/thread.html#11358>
    [ subject ]
   <http://lists.bioenergylists.org/pipermail/stoves_lists.bioenergylists.org/2016-March/subject.html#11358>
    [ author ]
   <http://lists.bioenergylists.org/pipermail/stoves_lists.bioenergylists.org/2016-March/author.html#11358>

------------------------------

Dear Roberto

Did this flame pattern occur only when you were not cooking – meaning
looking at it through an open top?  If so, it is quite possible the
effect was caused by it entering the fire from above the stove.

If there was a pot in place and you observed the flame descending in
the centre, it is most likely caused by air entering the periphery of
the combustion chamber and rising immediately. This sets up a toroidal
flow like a donut rolling around its circular centre line. It can be
created by having primary air jets below the fuel, or just air rising
along the wall of the chamber.

My observations are that it happens at low power, usually, when the
generated gas volume is low.  It is often seen when the pot is off and
the air enters from above. It follows the descending flame in the
centre and feeds the fire around the edge.

"