[Stoves] Heavy metal-pipe gasifier Re: Idea for cooking on a TLUD

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 15 10:47:02 CDT 2016

Cripsin,

The metal-pipe version you described could have some practical
implications for use with biomass as well as coal.

We will assume that scrap pipe is available and cheap.

Pipe will withstand the corrosion well.

Pipe of such dimensions will be emptied / cleaned at a door on the side
near the bottom (or with a trap-door through the bottom which would be
more involved and require legs/supports.)  There would be no allowance
for tipping over to dump out char or ash.

The empty unit will stay hot/ warm for quite a while, so it probably
should not be reloaded and reignited as a TLUD / MPF unit right away.
(We lack experience about this.)

After a TLUD operation with MPF (migratory pyrolytic front), the fire
will be at the bottom.   The unit COULD be continuously feed additional
fuel from the top, opperating as a traditional updraft gasifier.   Note
that this would be bottom burning like an incinerator, which generally
causes worse emissions unless additional adjustments are made.   The
entry points and amounts of air (primary and secondary) can greatly
impact this performance. For some societies and situations, this might
be appropriate.

REQUEST:
Who has conditions to do the development work about this type of
device?   NOT a tinsmith's job!!!  Please volunteer.   Or make a request
for some minor financial assistance.

Remember that this can have significant usefulness in colder climates
where room heating is also of value.

Crispin's time in Tajikistan is limited.   We need some continuity.
Maybe a team effort.   We can start by bringing together the various
messages about this, including Crispin's photos.

I will participate, but I do not work alone any more.  Make yourself
known!!!

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com