[Stoves] Damp fuel in TLUDs

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Mar 23 11:19:18 CDT 2016

Dear Paul

“It cannot occur at the relatively low temperatures of pyrolysis, and
certainly not occur in the zone where the char is not glowing red-hot.”

Prof Lloyd (a chemistry professor) disagrees and I have numerous lab tests
to support his position. When wet fuel is in close contact with hot fuel (I
am not sure about the requirement for ‘glowing’)

The water gas shift reaction takes places almost continuously. There are
multiple chemical pathways for the combustion to take place. I was surprised
to find that so much carbon goes straight to CO2 on the surface of char that
is only 400°C.

We could easily investigate this by taking gas samples from within the bed
as the front goes by and later, under different air flow conditions to see
if there is a detectable level of water gas production. I will ask Riaz
Ahmad at CAU if he is interested in look at that. It is in his area of
research.