[Stoves] Oil drum based TLUD for biochar production and water heating

Darren mail at vegburner.co.uk
Thu May 5 07:37:52 CDT 2016

Looking to work on a TLUD design based on a standard oil drum (200-litre
drum (known as a 55-gallon drum in the United States and a 44-gallon
drum in the United Kingdom) to produce biochar from well dried wood.

Ideally the stove would have a short chimney so as not to be too high so
that a pot/water tank/oven could be placed above the stove to be
directly heated by the flames.

I've had a look about on the internet to see what people have been
building - almost all appear to have an extra 1/3rd of a drum on top as
an 'afterburner' chamber and a reasonably long chimney on top of this.
Making them rather tall for easily positioning oven/watertank/pots for
direct flame heating.

None I have seen have an extra, large metal skin / tube surrounding the
barrel to provide secondary air pre heating (as is done with some
smaller TLUD designs).  I wonder if adding this could reduce the total
working height of the stove.

Looking to make something that is nice and clean burning.

Current ideas include -

* positioning the chimney/riser at one side of the barrel to allow
heating on the rest of the metal surface next to the riser - although I
suspect a large diameter chimney is required, leaving a hot surface of
limited size.

* charging the barrel 2/3rds full with fuel leaving the top 1/3rd empty
as an 'afterburner' - having secondary air holes positioned to jet in
air at this height.

Interested in any thoughts people have or any efforts people know of oil
drum TLUD designs where people are trying to reduce the height, use the
heat, or provide heated secondary air.

Best

Darren

see our previous biochar stove at