[Stoves] Oil drum based TLUD for biochar production and water heating

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu May 5 16:22:14 CDT 2016

Darren and Crispin,

I agree with Crispin.

Because you live in a developed society (UK), you can utilize the
advantages of low-cost, low-energy-consumption technology such as fans
and blowers and compressed air to accomplish your task more easily.
You are certainly not limited to the natural-draft chimneys for your
operation.

I do not totally understand Crispin's description of the
> Rocket Mass Heater heat exchanger. This is a device with a hot central
> rising pipe insulated from an exterior concentric pipe that loses heat
> to the environment.
In theory it is fine.   The only caution is that once you start cooling
the woodgas (TLUD pyrolytic gases), there can be condensation and
deposition of tarry stuff.   What you have studied about natural draft
barrel-size TLUDs is based on "close-coupled combustion" to burn those
gases promptly.   It all depends on what you want to do with the gases,
and you wrote that you wanted to heat water.

Heating water sounds simple, but I assure you that there is much to be
learned and implemented.   Please keep us informed of your progress.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com