[Stoves] Lots of smoke after a few minutes of clean burning

Mango Lazi mangolazi at yahoo.com
Sat May 7 07:23:00 CDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the biochar/gasifier stove scene and I'm trying out a few designs for backyard cooking and camping. I've got a 20 L paint can as the reactor, 1 cm diameter primary air holes all over the bottom lid with a big 8 cm hole in the center, and 1 cm secondary air holes on the sides near the top lid. Fuel is small dry twigs laid horizontally up to 2/3 full. I've fired the can before to burn off any coatings.

I get tall flames coming out of the chimney for a few minutes, then the flames go lower and copious smoke comes out. I've tried running it with the lid closed with a chimney and the lid on a 3 cm riser, also using different wood but nothing changes. I have to quench the can after 10 minutes because there's just too much smoke.

I'd love to figure out what's going on and I really appreciate any insight from the list members. Thanks in advance.