[Stoves] Lots of smoke after a few minutes of clean burning

Mangolazi mangolazi at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 04:05:46 CDT 2016

Hi Paul,

I went back to basics and made a peach can gasifier, similar to this: http://sectionhiker.com/a-batch-loaded-inverted-down-draft-gassifier-stove-by-dave-sailer/

It looks like a simplified Pekope design with straight vertical airflow. I used twigs and got about 20 minutes burn time with very little smoke. Using crushed and dried peanut shells, I got about 10 minutes and there wasn't much char left.

The nice thing about this small unit is that I could see all the processes going on without burning my eyebrows off, as with a paint can gasifier. Smoke generated from pyrolysis deep inside the can burns at the top. I saw flame jets at the secondary holes, as incoming air mixed and ignited with the wood gas.

Overall it's a stove that's perfect for camping and a good educational intro to the field. I would add a concentrator lid for cleaner burning and longer run time. I would also enlarge the secondary air holes.

Anyone used peanut or walnut shells in larger gasifiers?