[Stoves] TEG-TLUD Re: Biochar and Uganda and Char-Making stoves

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun May 22 17:05:29 CDT 2016

Jock and ccs

	Thanks.  That is a great Ppt.  It makes all the right points about carbon negativity.  I will be sending this on to the geoengineering list as one of the strongest rationales for biochar that I have seen.

	The only name for the stove I see is “Biochar Pellet Stove” = BPS.  I am going to call Jerry’s a “WBPS” = Whitfield Biochar Pellet Stove.

		Q1.  There is probably a patent issue here, and similarly for a few TLUDs.  But generally no patent issues for TLUDs.  And the use of augers must be beyond patent protection now.  Can you/Jerry clarify on intellectual property issues surrounding the WBPS?

		Q2.   One quibble on slide 9, which shows 9 Gt C/yr removed by BPSs - half (4.5 Gt C/yr) via char.  Critics of biochar will say you can’t claim the upper equal amount which returns to the atmosphere as CO2.  BECCS proponents claim superiority (incorrectly) because they can sequester (deep underground) a larger (and controversial) percentage.  I think you need a modification to Slide 9 showing the out-year benefits - as the initial char placement can probably generate another follow-on 4.5 Gt C/yr.  Or is this already in your (plural) thinking?

		Q3.  I don’t mind at all the number 9 Gt C/yr - but is there some further justification for that (large) number?  Is it perhaps supposed to include co-production of biochar with bioliquids?

		Q4.  The obvious conclusion from the (again, excellent) slides, is that the WBPS has not yet found an angel investor.  Can you (plural) say a little more on this.  Is this the main holdup in going further now?

		Q5.  I was unaware that the pellet stove business needs help that biochar can supply.  Is this commonly accepted?  Was there discussion of this at the conference?

		Q6.  There is obviously a big advantage to not having a batch process.  Could this hopper-auger approach be practical soon for industrial cook stoves?And even to overtake TLUDs eventually?

		Q7.   I like seeing the emphasis on reducing excess air.  What sort of ratio of primary to secondary air is desired?

		Q8   I’m ready to place a WBPS order.  When will (or might) it be welcome?  Do we have to wait for carbon credits?  Some countries have some.

I better stop.   Again - thanks.

Ron