[Stoves] stove test

Ray Menke ray.menke at gmail.com
Tue May 31 11:11:07 CDT 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Mangolazi <mangolazi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Ray, what happens when you shut off primary air with the stove running? I tried that with a simple TLUD design and I got smoke.

When the primary air is reduced or shut-off with a butterfly valve,
the flame above the restriction is reduced in height inside the riser.
This reduces the power somewhat, but nothing near what Kirk is
achieving because of his better mixing arrangement.
I believe it using secondary air down drafting from the top of the
fuel chamber.  I can only do this at the first half of the run, after
a good char bed is established on top of the fuel.  When most of the
fuel is converted to char, I often insert a small computer fan to blow
(lightly) into the opened primary air tube.  My stove is a nine inch
version of Anderson's Champion, with either a 20" or 24" high fuel
container.  (With the sacrificial liner the fuel chamber diameter is
probably more like 8 inches.)  I doubt my stove would run with
pellets, because they are too tightly packed.  It would probably smoke
on pellets if the air were shut down.

--
Ray  Menke