[Stoves] SPAM: Re: NIH and Gates Foundation-Funded Research to Measure Health Benefits of Clean Cookstoves

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Nov 6 12:00:57 CST 2016

The Global Alliance for Chronic Disease (CACD), which is coordinating the study, appears to be looking at LPG as an alternative to wood and not in combination with wood as discussed in the “context” thread. There is no mention of protocols or comparisons among fuels. What is being used to represent “wood” smoke?

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-contributes-global-effort-prevent-manage-lung-diseases

The study appears to be the result of a 2015 funding opportunity announcement and is a joint project of NIH, the Gates Foundation, the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (GACC), and the Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases (GACD). If I have the correct announcement LPG wasn’t specified in the original solicitation. Second hand cigarette smoke was. The solicitation was directed only to  universities. Emory University will conduct the study.

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-HL-16-012.html

Are there studies which address the use of multiple fuels and the impact of improved cook stoves?

Tom