[Stoves] Doubling down: "What would you do with 30.5 million dollars?"

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:55:33 CST 2016

http://cleancookstoves.org/about/news/10-25-2016-nih-and-gates-foundation-funded-research-to-measure-health-benefits-of-clean-cookstoves.html

Ah okay, I had missed this news, in my skim reading of the Stovelist, my
mistake!

This is, literally speaking, barely believable. I did have hard time
believing this was true. I guess at this stage I shouldn't be surprised
by anything anymore.

How can so much money be so poorly spent when needs of the sector are so
huge and urgent?

30+ months and 30+ million USD later, it might (or might not) be proven
that LPG is better for health than traditional biomass. Then what?

Adam: I will double-down my answer: I would put a small portion of it to
support the incredible work Tom and Erin, and a few others I guess, have
done to maintain the Stovelist, and build Bioenergylist, which is the
best and most state-of-the-art source of knowledge on cookstoves. To
organize, sort information, analyse it and make it more available to all
the cookstove players.

As part of the R&D effort I would gather the different cookstove experts
in one geographical location, with a fully equiped and staffed lab and
workshop, recruit additional top scientists and have them work on
different breakthrough combustion technologies.

And there would still be a lot of money left, for many other projects.

Best,

Xavier