[Stoves] Tar characterization

Paul Medwell paul.medwell at adelaide.edu.au
Sat Nov 12 21:58:56 CST 2016

Hi Tami,

Thanks for the detailed response.

The answer to your question is "the more we can have the better".
Realistically, it would be too easy to end up with too much information
and just become overwhelmed. Even if it were possible to obtain full
speciation measurements of the pyrolysis/gasification products, it
probably isn't practicable to use. For example, in the case of gaseous
turbulent combustion there is already too much of a compromise needed
for methane combustion: detailed kinetic mechanisms are often too large
for CFD...obviously the problem becomes much worse for other fuels.
There is a huge amount of work in the area of kinetic mechanism
reductions (mainly for engine fuels), but detailed kinetics of tars
seems out of the question any time soon.

In the first instance, it would be interesting to see a plot of the mass
spectrum of the pyrolysis/gasification products in a TLUD (before the
secondary air inlets) for different operating conditions. It would also
be nice to know the global C/H ratio. We are in the process of getting a
new GC/MS, but only to 300 amu. We'll wait and see how that goes. The
long-term plan is to include this in a model of the system, as well as
subsequent experiments of the specific details of soot production in the
combustion zone. However, this is all work to be done in the future.

Cheers,
Paul