[Stoves] Accidental TLUD technique discovery

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Sun Nov 13 18:35:37 CST 2016

Thanks Todd.

I agree with everything you say, but I omitted to explain that my goal
has not been to obtain the best home set up I can, so much as refine my
abilities with the small trekking stoves, so that I can enjoy their
successful use all the more when camping.  But I love those little stoves
so much I'm quite happy experimenting with them for now at least, because
I'm learning so much from them.  I have perfect dry chip available from
the top of our gas boiler, but have chosen more recently to see what I
could achieve with uncovered wood alone or with artificilly dried as
starter since that is what will be available camping.  I always keep
enough dry wood to cook on or brew with to start a fire from mainly found
wood wherever possible.

I have experimented with my own tincanium builds as well.  I have made
highly insulted TLUDs and a small rocket stove I hoped to take car
camping at least.  The elbow I made from two tin cans and then installed
them in a larger can, insulating with dry wood ash.  By the third firing
it had carbonised the thin steel to the point it disintegrated, so hot
did it get!  But it did work rather well while it lasted!  I enjoy using
Dean's stovetech rocket stove,  and a pot bellied cast iron BBQ that I
supercharge with a computer fan off an old car battery to assist air flow
through the very fine char the TLUDs produce, but these are far too big
to take camping, at least the minimalist way we do it usually.  The
Chinese stove and small Kelly kettle we can take in cabin luggage only,
on cheap flights in europe, and then car camp, sleeping in the reclined
seats of the smallest cheapest cars we can rent, which are in fact ideal
for the purpose.  But one day I might upgrade our home facilities, its
just that I really enjoy the simplicity and minimalism of it all.