[Stoves] Accidental TLUD technique discovery

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Tue Nov 15 15:39:44 CST 2016

Crispin, I'm amazed by your scouting campfire experience, it bears
absolutely no relation to mine, where in both the troops I was in at
different times the fires whether for cooking or the sing song camp
evening fire were completely conventional bottom lit, the latter
sometimes in a tepee construction.  What you are describing, but probably
on a larger scale, seems to be what Paal Wendelbo described and that
inspired him.  It might be interesting to try to discover if old scouting
literature describes making fires this way.  Our cooking was in large
oval cast iron 'dixies' placed on top of sticks aligned in the direction
of the wind hopefully.  The most sophisticated thing we did was to roast
large joints of pork, from breakfast time to be ready at lunch time where
a roasting tin with the joint was placed on a bed of embers, a galvanised
bath tub inverted over the whole and sealed with ash and a fire from a
separate pit brought over and placed around the windward side and on top.
 Guaging the degree of cooking was by removing a pole from the corner of
the cook house shelter, placing the metal tip on the top of the bathtub
and the wooden end in an ear!  After 4 years of observing and helping in
this process you became sufficiently competent to take charge of it.  We
were allowed half an hour leeway to bring the pork to the table, pork
properly cooked was more important than punctuality!

So was the TLUD/CD fire common knowledge in Britain/Europe?  I never came
across it in the late 50s and sixties, or since.  Our scoutmaster was an
ex navy man, perhaps if he had been army?  There's some unwritten history
here surely?

But I came across this through the second hit on a search for 'scout camp
fire instructions':

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/campfire-basics.html

They call it the 'Upside down (pyramid)' (the fire being 'upside down',
not the pyramid!

The girl guides also have it, but they don't really understand it, unless
yours had tinder at the bottom as well?:

http://gscm.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/07-1137MasterOfTheCampfire.pdf

"You can use several types of fire styl
es for a campfire. The PYRAMID starts
with a bottom layer of 4-6 inch diameter
logs. Add subsequent layers of smaller
shorter logs. Fill the center with tinder
and kindling and light the fire on a small
platform of sticks near the top. As it
burns, the coals fall in to the middle,
helping the fire burn downward."

wikihow.com don't know it

http://scoutingmagazine.org/2016/02/how-to-build-the-best-campfire/

don't list it

It seems patchy, but I'm wondering if it simply became largely forgotten
in my day and has been revived a bit in more recent times?  It always
amazes me what my parents generation didn't seem to know.

Best wishes,   Neil Taylor