[Stoves] Charcoal from waste - home cooking or other markets? (Re: Crispin, Anand Karve)

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:07:06 CDT 2016

Dear Dr. A.D. Karve & list

"Charcoal gas"  was slightly poor terminology on my part.  It will be a mix
of CO, H2, N2  with a little CO2 and traces of CH4.

There is the water gas reaction of H20 + C  to CO and 2H2  and the
reduction of CO2 into 2CO  when it comes into contact with orange hot
carbon.

Charcoal makes for a much simpler gasifier - because you don't have to
handle the problems of tar generation, as you would with a wood gasifier.

With charcoal available from biomass - and formed by extrusion into
convenient briquettes  - it makes the fuel handling a lot simpler,
briquettes can be stacked up in a pipe (or pipes)  and burn sequentially -
descending by gravity into the hearth of the gasifier.

Engine exhaust can be used to dry and pyrolyse the fresh briquettes and the
water content and CO2 in the engine exhaust is beneficial to the
gasification process - and helps moderate the temperature of the hottest
parts.

Ken