[Stoves] Charcoal from waste - home cooking or other markets? (Re: Crispin, Anand Karve)

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 13 09:46:26 CDT 2016

Ken, Rebecca and all,

I consider it to be UNdesirable to make briquettes or pellets from
sawdust AND THEN ONLY PYROLYZE THEM to make charcoal.

A.  Wasting the energy to make the densified biomass fuel that will not
be used as biomass fuel.

B.  Wasting the pyrolytic gases when turning densified biomass into char
/ charcoal.

Note:  Pellets are great fuel for TLUDs AND YOU STILL GET THE CHARCOAL.
If sawdust is being densified, the densified product can be useful.

Rebecca, I do not know of any "small, reasonable size" method to make
raw sawdust directly into charcoal.  Of course it can be done in
scientific laboratories, and probably in some expensive pyrolyzer-style
large burners at some sawmill that wants heat, or in some fluidized bed
gasifier that sprays in the sawdust (utilizing its small particle
size).  I hope that somebody has a brilliant idea someday for a small
inexpensive method, but not being done yet, as far as I know.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com