[Stoves] Rice husk stove and rice husk gasifier

Roger Samson rogerenroute at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 14 20:25:44 CDT 2016

Hi Bradnum

We developed the Mayon Turbo in the Philippines about 14 years ago. If built to specifications it works well especially for low income rural and peri-urban users. Peasants farmers called it the poor mans gas stove.

All these rice husk stoves have advantages and disadvantages. What people liked about our stove was its low cost, profound simplicity and portability.  Farmers liked the ash as fertilizer and pest repellent. It does require someone regualrly tending the stove as paul said every 3-5 minutes and the ash is messy to clean out (we often set it into a half barrel). Batch stoves with fans are expensive and cooks often don't like the batch nature of the stove and power requirement.

The bigger Mayon Turbo's have more autonomy and are less finicky to manage the fuel feeding and quality of combustion. However too big a stove and you have the risk of burning the rice from excess heat.  The problem is rice hull is a high ash fuel (20% ash) that has low density and is difficult to burn as the porosity of the fuel changes as it burns out. Hence you need to continual add new fuel and clear out the ashes. We did some experimental work with chopped grass stems that had low ash and we got much better autonomy. I dont think you can easily do better than our Mayon turbo 7000 or 7500 for autonomy and clean burn  without going to a batch forced air stove. The other challenge is fuelbed fires if the stove and fuel source get too hot. That was the main problem of designs we saw in the late 90's when we started.

Its the combination  of low fuel density causing flow problems,  high ash fuel, changing porosity of the combustion bed, controlling air flow and fuelbed fires that make this not a simple design task. In essence it is an impossible dream that you can have near full autonomy like a wood stove without some frequent manual agitation (tapping every 3-5 minutes) without going the electrically powered forced air/fan approach.  We encouraged farmers also to just turn the surplus rice husk into a carbonized material with a home built carbonizer to create an amendment for Bokashi fertilizer production.

You can read more on our MTS stove and our clay brick stove at www.reap-canada.com

cheers
Roger Samson
www.reap-canada.com