[Stoves] Biomass fuels and cooking in Kampala slum: Queen of Katwe v. Queens of Chappaqua and Washington, DC

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 12:43:52 CDT 2016

Context, context, context.

I saw a Mira Nair/Disney movie three days ago - Queen of Katwe
<http://www.queenofkatwe.com/>. It's based on a real life story of a young
Ugandan woman who finished high school recently and is a chess prodigy. She
grew up in a slum. I don't know if the slum scenes in the movie are from
Kampala, but they reminded me of urban neighborhoods of Kampala, Nairobi,
Addis Ababa, Maputo, Jo'burg, Kigali, Lusaka, or the cities in India I have
wandered through in the last five years. (Not Kabul; I wasn't allowed to
get out of the car.)

Those of you who get a chance to see it may find stacks of firewood, sacks
of charcoal, different kinds of stoves in the slum, and also commercial
cooking and food sales there.

There is also a scene about the real Burden of Disease -- I won't reveal
it, except to say it is not about the smoke.

The Queens of Chappaqua and Washington, DC have a challenge - identify such
ecosystems of energy poverty, one country at a time, and make a plan for a
clean enough usable stove for these and coming generations so that, along
with outsourcing the kitchens and building new homes so that boys and girls
do not suffer through the lives that are only too common around the world,
even in the US.

But no, the new royalty of international aid - the Foundations started as
second careers by Bill and Ted - have Cooking Ambassadors like Jose Anders.

Washington Post listed Anders' Minibar in its Fall Dining Guide - a $175
per head fixed price dinner, without wine.

But there's more - tickets for $275 per person and $565 per person
<https://minibar.tocktix.com/>.

GACC is a fine-wine-dine-and-shine party for the rich. Donors ought to take
notice just what images they are promoting.

Mr. Gueterrez has presumably left the GACC Leadership Council. So would
Mrs. Clinton after November, I hope.

If the cause of "cooking for the poor" is to be served, GACC concept itself
needs to be rethought

Nikhil