[Stoves] converting solid biomass into liquid or gaseous fuel

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 23:59:42 CDT 2016

Dear Andreatta,
I am a biologist and therefore I worked on converting biomass into biogas.
The consortium of microbes that produces biogas resides in the intestines
of animals and the food that animals eat is also their food. In the course
of my work I discovered that the percentage of biomass that gets converted
into biogas corresponds to the digestibility of that particular biomass.
Lignin, most of the plastics, artificial rubber and hydrocarbons cannot be
digested by an animal and therefore they cannot be fed into a biogas plant.
Agricultural waste generally consists of matter that can be digested
neither by humans nor by animals. Lignin can be digested by some wood
degrading fungi, and one can then convert the fungal mass into biogas, but
it is a slow process.  The technology of making charcoal from agricultural
waste is already available.  I am now in search of somebody who would help
me in developing a small scale technology for converting the charcoal into
water gas. Water gas can not only be used as a cooking fuel, but it can
also be used as fuel in an internal combustion engine. But the difficulty
with gaseous fuels is their large volume. If one can make a liquid fuel
from biomass, it would be easier to store it and also to transport it.
Yours
A.D.Karve

***
Dr. A.D. Karve

Chairman, Samuchit Enviro Tech Pvt Ltd (www.samuchit.com)

Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)