[Stoves] WHO's for whom? For what?

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:51:11 CDT 2016

Ron had asked us all "I suggest waiting until after this webinar to answer
your questions about WHO and stoves."

There was no mention of Daniel Wilson's ES&T paper.

I watched much of the Webinar. It was quite an entertainment. Comedy.
Tragedy. Horror. Drama. Action.

I am not enlightened.  Can anybody tell me if s/he was able to find light -
or heat?

Priesthood of any sect/cult narrates platitudes around which questions can
or cannot be asked and answered.

I don't remember any mention of that four-letter word FOOD.

A stove can do many things - the glass top electric ranges are as good as a
table top.

And a stove can get dirty in a myriad of ways. Cooking IS dirty; just ask
anybody who has had to clean a stove or a kitchen.

But we have most Quixotic adventurers, tilting at the windmills, in search
of "clean air". Via box models.  Clean kitchen or clean food - or the
quality of food - are assumed to be irrelevant to the question of cooking
and health.

Find your little sandbox and play. Let someone else bother about food and
health.

-------------

WHO will save the people?

Not WHO.

My humble (!) suggestion to well-meaning stove designers: Avoid and ignore
advocates' deceit and pretense of knowledge. Don't insult the pursuit of
knowledge - with all the qualifiers about assumptions and uncertainties
that researchers do emphasize but the ritual of cite-o-logy ignores. It is
unethical to be guided by unconvincing science just because it is done by
scientists.

What is to be done? a) Keep on innovating for specific geographic markets,
considering a variety of fuels and appliances, focusing first and foremost
on "cook food"; b) Formulate your ideas of market size and timing; c)
Understand your customers' desires but also keep in mind that desires and
needs are pliable and change in response to factors beyond your control;
can you make just a fifth of the customers in a particular geographic
market adapt your stove/fuel solution enthusiastically? If anybody comes to
buy a second stove - even if the first one is virtually given away - that's
the proof of your design. d) Yes, emissions, exposures, fuel consumption,
time taken to cook, are all relevant to customers, but you really don't
know who weighs what more than others, and what other things (fuel cycle
management drudgery)

The rest is blogal noise of vested interests who know nothing about the
poor, nor care.

Nikhil