[Stoves] Stove talk

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Fri Sep 23 03:55:57 CDT 2016

Andrew,

Yes it is natural draft.  The flame is not as clean as it looks in the
photo.  I forgot to mention earlier that there is a small amount of smoke
which is not visible in the photo.  Sorry about that.  This is one reason
that more work is needed.  Some lower power burns had no visible smoke, so
eventually it will work.

I learned from working with TLUDs that the advantage to the mixer principle
(draft + Venturi + large contact area) is that it is very rapid.  The
quicker the mixing, the lower down the gasses burn, and the more draft is
produced.  The flame is more energetic than a diffusion or turbulence mixed
flame, but less so than a forced air flame.  This appears to be true with
the rocket mixer as well.  The stator blades spin the flame, but if the
mixer is properly designed, the gasses are mostly mixed before they get to
the stator.  Even mixed gasses take time to burn, so the flame needs some
time.  The spin is not intended to mix the gasses, but to give the flame
that time before it exits the stove and gives its heat to the cooking
surface.  The entire system is designed for laminar flow, not for
turbulence.

Kirk H.