[Stoves] Indonesia Clean Cooking: ESMAP Supports Innovative Approaches to Build the Local Cookstoves Market, Helps Increase Access (Crispin)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 16:54:21 CDT 2016

Crispin:

Thank you for this excerpt. I also looked up Results-Based Financing to
Promote Clean Stoves:Initial Lessons from Pilots in China and Indonesia
<http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/838501468189549922/pdf/97846-BRI-PUBLIC-Box391491B-LW46-OKR.pdf>.
That Indonesia regions under the projects were judged to have "abundant
biomass" and the country did not have a history - like India's "Up in
Smoke" - of biomass stoves programs just might make this intervention
intellectually enriching.

I always like intervention-based research - compared to GBD hocus-pocus -
and I am also fond of subsidies. Some colleagues and I struggled with a
comparable instance - promotion of pico-PV products (solar "lanterns" but
rather battery-chargers for a variety of battery appliances). I did not get
a chance to see the ideas through, but have been thinking for several years
on effective subsidy methods and M&E tests for this problem of market
transformation for cooking and heating systems for the poor (in and around
households).

I worked on an LPG strategy - for cooking as well as lighting (LPG lanterns
were coming in the market then) - for back 30 years ago (exactly). A senior
consultant - an amazing all-round policymaker, from nuclear to renewables -
challenged me with a tough question, "If I am the finance minister, is it
better to subsidize kerosene, LPG, or electrification?" It was one of the
"learning moments" of my career.

But it was also then that I had done some market segmentation - by
geography and demographics, delivered cost of fuels, and between lighting
and cooking. (Electricity is the most versatile, LPG less so, and biomass
iffy and shaky as far as government support goes. Even coal is easier to
handle from budgeting and regulatory perspectives than biomass, priests of
the "biomass stoves" notwithstanding.)

**

Now a question (for you and others who are interested):

Would you say the WHO/EPA modeling would help improve on the methods and
effectiveness of subsidies so that this CSI project - 25 million is the
largest target I have known to date - can be scaled up or replicated ten
times over in the next five to ten years? (It takes five years to get a
large project started and five more years to implement and learn from it.)

I remain skeptical. Indeed I think it's a mix of insanity, folly,
deception, and faith - or plain error, as logicians and theologians will
argue - to look at lab testing for water boiling without regard to all the
diversity, distributions (statistical variations) in parameters, and
preferences.

"The key was to understand consumer preferences and adoption patterns and
to convince suppliers of the need to design clean stoves that met
these preferences
rather than focusing on supply-side approaches to develop the market."

A breath of fresh air. Compared to the WHO/EPA smoke in the ISO exercise. I
know I am being "negative". It is immoral to be positive about what is
quite likely a huge distraction for the sake of creating spurious
quantification.

I am willing and prepared to be convinced otherwise. For now, it seems to
me that ignoring key variables is wilful ignorance, a requirement for
pretense of knowledge.

Nikhil

Message: 9