[Stoves] Off-topic no longer, re: News from Colorado: 'Rolling Coal"

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 14:23:42 CDT 2016

Dear Paul:

I am afraid you misunderstand me.

The difference between "clean cooking" and "clean cookstoves" is not mere
playing with words.

Words matter. Numbers matter.

Metrics, measurement methods, assumptions, model structures matter.

"Clean" is a matter of exposures, and quantitative causal relationship
between exposure and disease incidence at individual level is a matter
worth debating. (WHO's own evidence reviews admit as much.)

There is much more to cooking than just "clean". I don't think the science
of stoves will match the science of cooking, leave alone the art.

Who is going to declare what are "clean cookstoves" and how?

The ISO IWA exercise with WHO/EPA lab testing, voluntary emission rate
targets, and presumptuous forecasts of averted DALYs is not science.

It is artfulness.

Since you do agree "Of course there are fuel issues," would you join me in
a call to compile fuel chemistry database for all the alleged "evidence" of
"emission factors" for "solid fuels"?

Nikhil

---------