[Stoves] Oxymorons and credentials --- was Re: Off-topic no longer, re: News from Colorado: 'Rolling Coal"

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Sep 27 16:09:55 CDT 2016

Dear Ron

I object you your use of the junk-science-advocacy term “climate denying stance”.

What the heck is a ‘climate denier’ when it has clothes on? What is a ‘climate denying stance’?

>“In  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_slang> Internet slang, a troll ( <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English> /ˈtroʊl/,  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English> /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet> Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#cite_note-1> [1] <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/extraneous#Adjective> extraneous, or  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-topic> off-topic messages in an online community (such as a  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup> newsgroup, forum,  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chat_room> chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into unemotional response <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#cite_note-PCMAG_def-2> [2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#cite_note-IUKB_def-3> [3] often for their own amusement.”

In that includes anyone who makes drive-by insults about anyone else who happens to be well-read, informed, professional and up-to-date on the subject of the CO2 cult. You must feel so threatened by Nikhil’s fearlessness in the face of the mighty Berkeley and WHO that you went looking for ways to ‘tear him down’ based on his advocacy of common sense and calling a spade a spade. He is from India, Ron, and he is standing up to bullying by the incompetents. He is also able to respond, cite by cite, why that spade is a space and not a shovel.

Stoves are not going to be improved while you still feel the poor are to be held responsible to reduce their carbon dioxide emissions. They owe you nothing. The poor of the world are specifically exempted under the Kyoto Protocol from being held to any CO2 emission reductions. That includes coal combustion, which is how they stay alive.

Here is a photo of a stove that will burn dung, wood and coal really well – about half the fuel consumption of the local traditional devices.

Big one on the left, small one on the right.  You can see the grate for the big one on top. They can be made in 2-3 hours and sell for $30-50. Expected life time is >5 years.

This is a transfer of knowledge and innovation from Indonesia to Kyrgyzstan through a WB stove programme of technical assistance. It involved no boiling of water, not wonky metrics that lie about fuel consumption, no carbon credits. Just the sharing of simple, effective ideas that produce results all can benefit from.

Let’s give up the mystical stuff and get on with making better stoves for real people.