[Stoves] Premix configuration

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 29 15:01:28 CDT 2016

Alex,

Yes!!  Congratulations on the accomplishments!!    You show pre-mixing
of pyrolytic gases with air (that contains O2), but at such a speed of
gas flow that the flame cannot get down to the level of the entrance of
the secondary air, resulting in blue flames.

This leads to some questions.  Some are clearly for you to tell of your
experiences.   Others are suggestions of what other people could do if
they wanted to get involved in replication.  There are some variables
(device characteristics) that are not stated, so this is not yet
something that a casual observer would do without further understanding.

1.  Is you unit with forced primary air?  Please describe.  If not with
forced primar air, is there additional riser (chimney) above the zone of
ignited gases?

2.  Is there any turn-down capability?   And if turn-down of primary air
does occur, we would expect the zone of the ignited gases to be lower in
the funnel, right?

3.  What might happen if there was forced secondary air?

4.  If a flame/spark was introduced at the point of the entry of the
secondary air, what would happen?  ...
a.  a yellow flame upward in the funnel?
b.  extinguished spark/flame (that is, no ignition)?
c.  the flame goes up to the top and becomes blue without any flame
lower down?

5.  How do you actually ignite the pre-mixed gases?  That is, when and
where do you first ignite the gases that were shown in the video?

6.  Please comment on extending the narrow (2 inch diameter) section so
that the blue flame would be even further from the entrance of the
secondary air.   How far?   And if the diameter was even smaller, could
the length be even longer?

7.  Have you experimented with sending the pyrolytic gases a longer
distance before the entry of the secondary air?

VERY interesting!!!!

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com