[Stoves] Rapid mixing

alex english aenglish444 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 06:12:38 CDT 2016

Kirk,

I'll try and respond to your comments but it may take more than one try.
I lack the numbers and formula to backup my comments, but its fun to waive
my arms around with pretense.

> On the question of obstruction, I have to disagree with you.  The Venturi
> mixer I am working on reduces the open area to .5 that of the fuel reactor
> chamber.  Your design reduces the open area from 12 inch dia to 2 inch dia
> which is 113 sq in to 3.14 sq in.  That is .028 the open area of the fuel
> reactor chamber, which is much more restriction than I am using.

Fair enough.

>   You must be getting an incredible velocity through the 2 in pipe, which
> would be giving you a substantial drop in pressure via the Venturi effect.

I think this Venturi effect would occur at the restriction at the base of
the 2 inch pipe not at the top where it is straight.

>   It would be very interesting to get pressure measurements throughout
> your stove (with the secondary air entrance open/closed, and compared to a
> straight wall stove of the same height for a control).  Your placement of
> the secondary air entrance is perfect to use the Venturi pressure reduction
> for mixing.

I don't think so, same as above reason. The low pressure is caused by the
chimney above, there is no solid restriction to cause a venturi effect. The
incoming secondary air could be construed as a restriction. ???

>   I have not found tangential secondary air mixing to work very well, but
> I am guessing that the increased pressure difference makes it work for you.

In this case its a marginal difference at best.

> I very much like the way you have found to *pre-mix* the wood gas with
> the secondary air.  I had thought it would be much more difficult to
> achieve this.  You have cleverly increased the wood gas velocity so it
> is faster than the flame can burn back, and thus give the gasses time
> to pre-mix before they burn.

"Cleverly" implies precognition. There was none.

>   When the mixture ignites in the mixing area, the high gas velocity just
> pushes the flame out.  Or perhaps there is always a small amount of flame
> in the mixing zone,

After initial ignition there is no flame in the mixing zone.

> but the gasses are moving so fast that the majority of gas doesn't burn
> until it reaches the burning area.  Or perhaps the gasses mix and begin
> combusting, but because of the gas velocity they don't have time to burn
> completely in the mixer area.  Even well mixed gasses take time to burn.

Not much time. I have previously described a paper thin flat horizontal
disc of blue flame. It could also be described as a soap film. This is
where a flame front of premixed gasses has a matching flame speed to the
gas flow. It is a hard flamr to stabilize, but it appears to be only a
molecule thick and could be described as very fast. No unlike a candle
flame on a space shuttle in appearance but not in it function.

> The only way I can see that there would be no flame in the mixing area is
> if the mixture is below ignition temperature.

Yes. It needs a spark.

> It appears to be a rapid mixing technique, though you have designed for
> narrow and tall whereas I designed for wide and short.  Both will
> find their place.  The height of the cone that accelerates the wood
> gas plus the height of the mixer plus the height of the cone to decelerate
> the mixture and hold the flame adds up to some height.  That is not a
> negative if it works for the application.

Your work has more relevance to this list. Mine, so far is mostly a
teaching tool for a class of one.

> How do you use the flame for cooking?  A grill over the top?  A sunken pot?

I don't. It would have to be in a box with a chimney off to the side.
Likely to complex and fussy and ambitious for the real world.

> What is the fire power?

I need to put this on a scale sometime. I used to have an intelligent guess
but I forgot what it is.
8 inches deep by 12 inches diameter, wood pellets, 40 lbs/ ft3 @ 8000
btus/lb, apply assumption , 20% weight char residue @ 13000btus/lb,
duration -3 hours.... Anyone:)

> The constriction must be creating a back pressure that is slowing
> pyrolysis, and thus fire power.  This might be countered by the large
> diameter fuel reactor chamber providing a large pyrolysis front and lots of
> wood gas.

Controlled mostly by under air primary supply with a top end maximum
limited by the two inch pipe.

> It is natural draft and with how much turn-down?

I need a scale to know.

Off to work,
More later.
Still under 60:)