[Stoves] Off-topic news: Uni of Iowa hosts conference to save millions of lives globally

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Apr 6 11:53:55 CDT 2017

Dear Nikhil

That is going to be a pretty strange conference. ‎If CO2 is now 'pollution' and not the result of perfect biomass combustion what performance targets will we now seek?

If they don't know the difference between an attribution of a contribution to a premature death and what is written on a death certificate, they are in for a shock.

I have been made aware of a new tense in the English language. The idea that CO2 is thought by the WHO to be a cause of death of thousands of children ‎is stated in the 'future hopeful' tense.

The 'future hopeful' tense describes something said or written that the author hopes will one day be shown to be true. ‎It is a form of forecasting without the pretense of science.

Going up in Smoke program schedule at http://bit.ly/WCSmoke

UI hosts conference to save millions of lives globally<https://now.uiowa.edu/2017/04/ui-hosts-conference-save-millions-lives-globally>

"Millions of women around the world die every year from the simple household task of cooking...

>From April 12–14, the University of Iowa will host a group of internationally recognized experts at a conference, Women’s Health and the Environment: Going up in Smoke<http://events.uiowa.edu/event/worldcanvass_womens_health_and_the_environment#.WOUV13QrK3A>, to address this silent global crisis...

The World Health Organization estimates that the carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and other pollutants released while burning biomass lead to 4 million deaths annually...

“Even in developing countries where this is such a problem, there is very little media discussion about this issue because these deaths are spread out over the year and therefore not sensational. It’s what Rob Nixon, a professor at Princeton, calls a ‘slow violence.’”

<https://www.google.com/alerts/feeds/02837405415513532105/2487160887245583864>