[Stoves] Report on second day of University of Iowa's stove conference

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Apr 14 05:58:34 CDT 2017

	Again a short description of IU’s second stove symposium day.  The schedule is given at https://international.uiowa.edu/funding/faculty/projects/provosts-global-forum/women%E2%80%99s-health-environment-going-smoke/2017-provost%E2%80%99s <https://international.uiowa.edu/funding/faculty/projects/provosts-global-forum/women%E2%80%99s-health-environment-going-smoke/2017-provost%E2%80%99s>

	Bios for the speakers below are at:  https://international.uiowa.edu/funding/faculty/projects/provosts-global-forum/women%E2%80%99s-health-environment-going-smoke/2017-provost-0 <https://international.uiowa.edu/funding/faculty/projects/provosts-global-forum/women%E2%80%99s-health-environment-going-smoke/2017-provost-0>;  these partly amplify my one line descriptions

	The format was very different from most conferences I attend, where speakers might only have 10 minutes.  Here the talks were about 25 minutes, with time for questions after.  A great deal of the benefit was having time to talk to the presenters during meals.

	I have some scratch notes on especially references that I need to look up.  Questions welcome.  Paul Anderson should be cc’d on any off-list questions to me.  One more full day today (Friday);  the below only on Thursday talks.

Part I - AM
	Bradley Cramer -  IU Professor - overview on climate data - some on stoves
	Depthi Chatti -  Doctoral candidate at Yale, area Political ecology,  ethnology  (Berkeley grad Robert Bailis on her Committee)
	Jessica Pouchet -   Anthropologist studying Forest preservation issues in Tanzania;also ethnology format
	Meera Subramanian  Environmental Journalist from Boston area;  described stove aspects in her 2015 book (which I have ordered):
		“A River Runs Again: India’s Natural World in Crisis, from the Barren Cliffs of Rajasthan to the Farmlands of Karnataka"

Part II  PM
	Kirk Smith - (rescheduled) - Berkeley Public Health Professor (delayed arrival caused shift in scheduling);  partly on statistics of stove health issues, then more on details of major Governmental shift in India to LPG for the poorest.
	Peter Thorne - IU Health department chair - similar talk to Kirk’s;  some data on health aspects of mosquito repellant and incense - not as bad as cookstove hazards, but help put serious stove health problems in perspective.
	Kathleen O’Reilly  -  professor at Texas A&M;  on (horrible) sanitation issues for Indian urban women.  Also water - nothing on stoves
	Sailesh Rao - Philanthropist responsible for funding much of this IU stove work in Rajasthan; see more at his website:http://www.climatehealers.org/ <http://www.climatehealers.org/>  much of which he shortened for this talk.  The last part showed the huge global impact of cattle, which he argued needs to be replaced with a Vegan diet.  Emphasis on land degradation by ruminants.  Interesting use of terms caterpillar and butterfly respectively for projected climb and decline of atmospheric carbon.

	After dinner, we saw the movie “What the Health” - which Dr. Rao helped fund and produce.  This  in part on concerns about different NGO groups ignoring data on health virtues of Vegan diets.  In same spirit as “Cowspiracy”, which he also co-produced.  Both films stove-important for fuel supply reasons.  See https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/what-the-health-movie-film#/ <https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/what-the-health-movie-film#/> and   http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/ <http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/>

Ron