[Stoves] 3rd day at IU stoves Conference - Part 1

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Apr 16 01:02:45 CDT 2017

List:  (Part 2 tomorrow. I ran out of time.)

	I haven’t said enough about how unusual the format was for any conference and especially a conference with a heavy emphasis on stoves.  Students were present at many - intended as a learning experience - some for class credit.  Although the real benefit was probably for the invited speakers and their presumed continuation with the Iowa sponsoring group.  All the speakers were housed at the expense of the University,  attendance was free to all.  Paul and I were treated about the same as the invited speakers - at least two speakers coming all the way from India.  Much more of a collegial feeling - with most invitees bringing expertise from outside the stoves arena.

	The Iowa organizers were being honored for their work in International development - obviously (now to me) a major focus at IU.  For distinct parts this day:.  Besides nothing below on the longest part (Part II), also coming - more general thoughts.

I.   8:15 – 9:00 a.m. - Keynote Presentation - “Impacts of Land Use/Land Cover Change (LULCC) on Atmospheric CO2 and Climate”
Atoll Jain, professor, department of atmospheric sciences, University of Illinois.    This covered both global and changes in India.  Mostly graphs from his own publications.

See    https://www.atmos.illinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=127458&pageId=151962 <https://www.atmos.illinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=127458&pageId=151962>

II.    9:00 – 12:30 p.m. - Panel III: Policy and Fuel Use in Developing Countries

	More coming on this session with 4 speakers tomorrow.

III.     12:30 – 12:45 p.m. - Concluding Comments
	This was similar to that at many conferences - but much more on India and its needs - not so much on stoves AND  solid fuels.   Every presenter and motivated attendees were able to say a few words - not limited to the Friday speakers.  An effective tool for all conferences.

IV.    3:00 - 4:30 p.m. - Panel Discussion: “Writing About Climate Change”
	This did stick to the title - essentially nothing on stoves.  Three well-nown, published working journalists and writers.  All have worked with the IU faculty behind this conference.

a.   Jeff Biggers -  quite well known as a writer - as can be seen at his website.
http://www.jeffrbiggers.com/iowa-climate-narrative-project/ <http://www.jeffrbiggers.com/iowa-climate-narrative-project/>
	Started by talking about the Pope’s encyclical.  Obviously very concerned about climate topics.

b.  Cornelia F. Mutel - mainly focused on her relatively new book on climate.  Is a scientist herself.  Has written many books.  See
 https://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Creek-Chronicle-Observing-Midwestern-ebook/dp/B01CI0SPRO/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1492315305&sr=1-2 <https://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Creek-Chronicle-Observing-Midwestern-ebook/dp/B01CI0SPRO/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1492315305&sr=1-2>

c.  Meera Subramanian -  See notes on her talk previous day - where she talked more on stoves.  Here the topic was like the others - the process of writing for instance.  She is now in a Fellowship program at MIT.  The website for her book is:  https://www.amazon.com/River-Runs-Again-Rajasthan-Farmlands-ebook/dp/B00X2ZW9J0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1492318128&sr=1-1&keywords=meera+a+river+runs <https://www.amazon.com/River-Runs-Again-Rajasthan-Farmlands-ebook/dp/B00X2ZW9J0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1492318128&sr=1-1&keywords=meera+a+river+runs>