[Stoves] Humanitarian Engineering

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Apr 29 21:27:09 CDT 2017

List,  cc Crispin

	1.  Crispin’s URL below is worth our time pursuing.  At this site is a free, very lengthy e-book with numerous references to stove development (not yet to TLUDs).  The author,  Kevin Passino is a Professor at Ohio State.

	The URL that Crispin supplied below only gives the first of 10 principles:

   One:  Focus on People.  I think it safe to say, our stove list does that,  The remaining list of principles, with links that are given at Crispin’s cite, and where I would say we and GACC are doing pretty well, are:

  Two:     Relate, Listen, Ask, Cooperate, Empower <https://www.engineeringforchange.org/humanitarian-engineering-principle-two-relate-listen-ask-cooperate-empower/>
   Three:  Understand Social and Physical Context <https://www.engineeringforchange.org/humanitarian-engineering-principle-three-understand-social-and-physical-context/>
   Four:    Be a Professional Humanitarian Engineer <https://www.engineeringforchange.org/humanitarian-engineering-principle-4-be-a-professional-humanitarian-engineer/>
   Five:    Build Technological Capacity <https://www.engineeringforchange.org/humanitarian-engineering-principle-5-build-technological-capacity/>
  Six:      Ensure Long-Term Positive Impact <https://www.engineeringforchange.org/humanitarian-engineering-principle-six-ensure-long-term-positive-impact/>
 Seven:  Understand Impact from Social Context <https://www.engineeringforchange.org/humanitarian-engineering-principle-seven-understand-impact-from-social-context/>
 Eight:   Design for Sustainability <https://www.engineeringforchange.org/humanitarian-engineering-principle-eight-design-for-sustainability/>
 Nine:   Assess Outcomes <https://www.engineeringforchange.org/humanitarian-engineering-principle-nine-assess-outcomes/>
 Ten:    Promote Human Dignity, Rights, and Fulfillment <https://www.engineeringforchange.org/humanitarian-engineering-principle-ten-promote-human-dignity-rights-fulfillment/>

2.  Here is the way the book is organized:

3.  I have a shortage of time right now, so have given up (for now) finding the pages where Passino places high priority on an intervention that can make money.  This has been my claim for char-making stoves (with climate-based payment for char going into soils).   I am pretty sure health is another key model variable.
    	I’d appreciate anyone who can tell me where that section is in this almost 800 page book.   Soon, I’ll get back to looking.
	Professor Passino has some fine looking equations for modeling any intervention.  I think TLUDs would stand scrutiny well;  I look forward to seeing some model results for TLUDs.

4.  I repeat:  this book is a gem.  Thanks to Crispin for bringing this to our attention.

Ron